Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

0757

As I typed this, I have already been to my first post-op eye appointment, drove in a blizzard, grocery shopped, made coffee, and watched an episode of The Biggest Loser all without glasses or contacts!  I can't tell you how amazed I am!

My story with glasses started when I was in the 2nd grade.  I had headaches all the time and would constantly leave my classroom and go to my mom's to get tylenol.  I had super long and thick hair that my mom thought might just be too heavy and the cause of my headaches...so there I was sitting in the chair of the lady that still cuts my mom's hair...and I walked out of there looking like a boy, yup I got a bowl cut...at the time I was ok with it, I was only 7!  But she kept cutting my hair like that and eventually I hated it, I looked like a boy.  The only good thing was that a friend of mine had a haircut just like me, so we looked alike!  However, 2 weeks after this dramatic haircut, my teacher informed my mom that I couldn't see the chalk board...so I found myself in the optometrists chair and ordering glasses.  It was amazing what I could see after I got them!

Trees actually had leaves...
People's faces actually had definition...
Teacher's were actually writing something on the chalkboard...
TV images actually wore necklaces, glasses, and facial expressions....

Being 7, I didn't realize that these things were important to see, I just thought it was how everyone saw the world!  Little did I know that life behind a pair of glasses was AMAZING!!!  But, I was allergic to those darn glasses and my mom had to paint the frames with clear finger nail polish because they would make my cheeks raw and eventually scab them!  {I was so glamorous in my childhood: boy-like haircut, massive glasses, scabs on my cheeks, and a gap between my two front teeth!}  I wish I had a picture, but I will leave you with that image...NOTHING glamorous!

In the 7th grade, my mom let me get contacts because I was starting to play sports...and life was so much better with contacts, until that one girl stuck her finger in my eye while playing basketball in P.E and I am pretty sure that my eye was bleeding!  Back to the glasses I went, but my mom hadn't bought my current prescription in my glasses because I always wore my contacts...so, I was back to square one and I couldn't see a damn thing....for a whole week while my eye healed!

I wore contacts and glasses all through high school, college, and the start of my profession career, until yesterday!  I had Lasik eye surgery and it is amazing!  I was a little nervous and had some anxiety when they put a ton of pressure on my eye and I lost my vision for a split second.  The scrub tech kept saying it's normal to not be able to see anything right now, but on the inside I was freaking out!  That 10 minutes to give my valium time to work WAS NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!  The whole procedure took about 30 minutes for both eyes together.  I walked into the office at 0705 and I was in my mom's care at 0810!  I walked out of the surgical room and the post-op tech asked me to look at the clock and tell her what time it was, even though it was blurry I was able to read it and I will never forget that time...

0757

I could read a freaking clock without squinting, glasses, or contacts!

I just got back from my first post-op appointment and I am seeing 20/25.  I have quite a bit of swelling in my eyes especially the right eye...when the swelling goes down I should be seeing 20/20 without halos! {The halos are normal due to the swelling and the amount of correction that I needed} I am so amazed with this procedure and even though I am 24 hours post-op, but would do it again if it meant that I could see without using glasses or contacts!

Right now I am sitting on the couch and watching it snow, and I can see EVERY. INDIVDUAL. SNOW. FLAKE!!!!


I have to tape these beauties to my face at night for the next week so that I don't rub my eyes in my sleep!!!  I am telling you that I will I scare any one away that tries to break into my apartment!!!




2 comments:

  1. YAY!! I'm so excited for you! I've had glasses since kindergarden. My mom put me in the biggest, pinkest, plastic glasses I think she could find. She also permed my already curly hair, and kept it at a very boyish length. What the heck was she thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those moms!! Gotta love 'em....even if they did scar us for life!! :) I am so happy with the surgery and it's only been 2 days!! It's amazing!

      Delete