Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Holiday Favorites...

As Christmas is swiftly approaching us, I have been in a place this past week that has be wondering about what I want to do to be a better person in 2013 and the bucket list items are running around in my head.  I think about the last bucket list I made in 2011, and I need to revisit that list and see what ones I have actually accomplished {I don't think that it is very many}.

Then I pull myself back into the now, and realize that I don't need {or want} to over see the holidays!  I am really looking forward to Christmas this year in a way that I have never looked forward to anything else.  I look forward to next week, the drive home with Christmas music, seeing my Godson Hudson and my nephew Nicholas, being nice and cozy under and blanket by the fire place in my favorite chair at my mom and dad's, goofy around with my brother-in-laws with a beer in our hand, dinner with my best friend from high school...and the list could go on and on!

As I look back at my past Christmas', there are always those traditions that never escape my mind...and like everyone else I have favorites...so here goes the list!

1. Favorite Christmas song:  "Mary, did you know?"  Rascal Flatts sang this song at a country Christmas show and I fell in love with this version!  I also love the Kenny Rogers and Wyonna Judd version! There is just something about this song that touches my heart and it isn't a song that everyone knows the lyrics too.  I can't tell you how excited I was to hear this song when Christmas music started playing on the radio!


2. Favorite Candy:  My Grandma Honas' cinnamon candy.  My Grandma always had a ton of treats on the counter for all of us to eat until we couldn't eat anymore!  Her cinnamon candy was the bomb dot com!  Jera has already asked me to make it for this year, and I made a couple batches last night!  

Hard Candy Recipe
3 3/4 c. sugar
1 c. water
1 1/2 c. light karo syrup
1 teas. cinnamon oil {or any flavor you want}
red food coloring
Mix first three ingredients, place on heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Boil without stirring until candy reaches 310 degrees or makes thread in cold water.  Add flavoring and food coloring.  Pour into a greased cookie pan and let harden.  Break into pieces and ENJOY!

3. Favorite Tradition:  Christmas Eve with my family!  My mom makes appetizers, soups, and usually a yummy cocktail.  We eat and then open gifts!  After gift opening we usually drive around town and look at Christmas lights and wait until midnight mass.  As a family we go to midnight mass.  After midnight mass we make breakfast at 1:30 in the morning in our pj's and enjoy our sleepy selves!  

4. Favorite Decoration: Nativity Set.  I bought a new Nativity set when I was in Rome with summer at the Sistine Chapel.  When I first saw this Nativity set I fell in love and honestly I wanted it no matter how much it cost...and well I bought it!  I am so glad that I did!  I look at is everyday and not only do I remember a fabulous trip I had this summer coming closer to God and my faith, I always remember what Christmas is all about!  Every year when I put this Nativity set out I will always be reminded of the trip of a lifetime! 


5. Favorite Scent:  Peppermint from Bath & Body Works!  I love this scent!  My candle that I bought this year is already more than halfway gone!  

6. Favorite non-traditional pastime: Our family ski trip to Breckenridge in 2007.  My parents wanted to take us on a ski trip and we loved it!  It was our Christmas present and we all had a great time!  From the ski-in, ski-out condo, skiing with Santa on Christmas day, going to Christmas eve mass in Uggs because the snow was so deep, spending time with our "second" family, the Loftus', getting Nicholas ready for his first time on the slops...and I could go on and on!  We are planning another Christmas Ski trip within the next couple of years!



Well, those are my top favorite things about the holidays!  If I keep going it will be the longest blog in history because I love the holidays and have so many favorite things that are family traditions throughout the years!  Here's to making more traditions and memories in 2012!  I can't wait to be with both of my sisters, brother-in-laws, nephews, and parents all in one house for several days!  I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!  12-20-12, you can not come fast enough!





No comments:

Post a Comment