Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Washington D.C.

Another traveler (Ashley) and I took a 2 days trip to Washington D.C. and we had a great time!  I love Washington D.C.!!!!!  Here is a rundown of our trip:

Arlington National Cemetery:
One of our first stops was Arlington National Cemetery...this was one place that I really wanted to see.  The fact is...pictures don't do it any justice.  This place was AMAZING!!!  It was beautiful.  Those white tombstones that you see on the TV, in magazines, or textbooks are as far as you can see in every direction.  We watched a couple ceremonies and the changing of the guards are the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I am so glad that we went and saw this breathtaking place!




Changing of the guards




National Museum of Natural History:
So, as Ashley was talking about all the musuems at the Smithsonian, she kept referring to it as the mall.  The whole time I was thinking, "that is just an odd place for a mall, right the middle of all this history and there is a mall."  But, she was talking about all the museums that are referred to as the mall, not necessarily my type of mall, but interesting to say the least!  Neither of us are big museum people so we decided to go to the Natural History Museum.  It was amazing!!!  The mammals, reptiles, and insects were my favorite rooms!  We went into the butterfly exhibit, and walked among 80 different species of butterflies and moth flying around us.  They had an orchis exhibit, and those flowers were amazing. 

The Hope Diamond was gorgeous!!! 


This HUGE elephant was at the entrance of the museum!

Orchids!


Butterfly and Moth that were in the butterfly exhibit.  This orange and white moth had just came out of her cocoon that morning. 


Washington Monument & US Capitol Building:
This monument was freakin' huge!!!  It was interesting to see it!  There were people running all over the place, it kind of gave me some motivation to keep on running.  The US Capitol Building was just like you see it in the movies, books, and news!





Lincoln Memorial: 
You hear about this memorial and you see pictures of it, but I never thought that this statue of  President Lincoln was this big.  He was huge, but it was surreal to stand there and look at it and know that you were standing the exact place that Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous speech. 




Right where Martin Luther King Jr. stood during his speech


Cherry Blossoms:
The highlight of this trip was to go see the Cherry Blossoms in bloom!!  They were so pretty!  Some people said that they weren't in their prime bloom yet, but that's ok because I don't know if I will ever plan another trip to DC just to see the cherry blossoms.  I was so glad that they were as bloomed as the were and that I got to see them!!!






Segways:
Renting segways the my favorite part of the trip!! We walked miles on Friday, so on Saturday I told Ashley that we were renting segways to get around!  They were so much fun!  I accidently ran over an old guys foot, but he is the one that stepped out in front of me.  As a slowed down to apologize, I said I'm so sorry, and this old guy snapped back, "Yea, well I am too."  I seriously about wasn't able to keep my mouth shut and yell right back at him for stepping out in front of me, but then I thought, "Allison, shut your mouth, you are in the middle of  DC, and who knows who is around and might shoot you." So, I just increased my speed on that segway and got the heck out of there!!  I do hope that I didn't break that poor old guys foot!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment