Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sacrament of Reconciliation

Most of you know the Scarament of Reconciliation as "Confession".  This week when I was at work, I was looking at an app that I have recently downloaded on my phone about preparing for confession, and one of my co-workers asked me what I was looking at when I told her, I found myself once again defending and trying to explain to deaf ears why we, as Catholics, go to confession.  I am going to try to explain to the best of my ability the sacrament that Catholics take so seriously. 
I like to consider going to confession as doing some spiritual inventory, or maybe some spring cleaing of my soul.  As I was preparing all week to make a good confession, I asked myself questions like these:
* Am I becoming more like Christ?
* Am I growing in holiness?
*Are there still ares in my life that I want to change?
* What do I need to do to effect those changes?
* Is my goal in doing penance to please God?
As my life is weakened by sins, my church gives me the opportunity to reconcile with God and the Body of Christ in front of a priest that helps absolve us from sin.  We go to confession to be reconciled.  Reconcilation means "to meet again".  As sin has caused us to lose our way spiritually, confession is our way a back home, back to the right relationship with the God who made us. 
As I prepared for confession this week, and as the today got closer, I can't help but get a little anxious about going.  No one wants to sit in front of a priest and tell them all the things you have done wrong since the last time you were in a confessional.  However, the second I walked out of that confessional, it was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  Telling someone your faults and wrong doings while sitting face to face with them, not only helps build your faith, but also your character! 
I'll leave  you with this: Jesus calls us to repentance: "This is the time of fulfillment.  The reign of God is at hand!  Reform your lives and believe in the gospel." (Mark 1:15)  As our response to His call, let us change our hearts inwardly, change our lives outwardly and then we can celebrate joyfully with Jesus, His Resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment