Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bus Trip!

Last Thursday I went on a bus trip to Washington DC to see the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and to the Francisan Monestary!  Now, I signed up for the this trip after seeing it in the church bulletin, so I had an idea that I was going to be the youngest person on the trip, and well, I was right!  I was on this bus trip with 47 senior citizens...so I was the youngest by 30 years!!!  When I first got on the bus the bus driver (who could have been my grandpa) said to me "Well, what are you doing here, you are young."  I just laughed, but I really wanted to slap him and say that young people can be interested the the Shrine and Monestary.  So, I find my seat and here come this little old lady asking if the seat next to me was taken, when I said no she asked if she could sit with me, and I said sure!  Well, she was a talking tammy, I finally had to pretend that I was sleeping so that she would be quite for a few minutes, but that didn't stop her, she just turned to the people across the aisle and talked to them! 

The Shrine was absolutely beautiful: 
I am going to put a few pictures on here from the internet because my computer won't let me download my photos at this time and these pics are prettier!!!

The front of the National Shrine

From the back of the shrine

This mosaic is at the front of the shrine and absolutely breathtaking.  It is made of 3 million little mosaic pieces!

View of the National Shrine


The Fransican Monestary was beautiful also!  The gardens around the building were amazing with all the tulips, bleeding hearts, and pansies in bloom! 

The last supper

Inside of the monastary

At Calgary


So while I was walking around the gardens outside one of the eldery men came up to me and asked me if I was hired as the nurse to be on this bus in case one of the senior citizens fell or got sick.  I was like serioulsy!!!  But, I politely said to him "No, I paid the same amount of money as you did to come on this trip and I just happen to have a degree in nursing!"
While on the bus ride home that little old lady that sat next to me gave me her phone number, address and gave me turn by turn directions on how to get to her house, she said "Come over some day, and we'll go bike riding.  I ride a bike with 3 wheels, but I have one with 2 wheels that you can ride."  I just laughed, however, she was so sweet, I  might just take her up on it!!! 
Over all, I had a great time on this trip and it was very interesting to see all these things that pertain to my faith!!!  I would like to go back and see it again, because we didn't have near enough time to soak everything in!

No comments:

Post a Comment