Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Memories

Last night I went to my college sorority house to help the active members with their formal recruitment...let me tell you, they were awesome!!!  It was a bittersweet time since I left the house full of heart break and disappointment.  When I was a senior the house was less than desireable; we were struggling for membership, we had LOTS of drama, there were girls that weren't so nice, everyone was stretched to the max with holding multiple offices etc...I think you get the point.  I was at my wits end and almost quit around Thanksgiving due to all the turmoil that our house was dealing with.  I spent all my time at the library with my nursing friends or at my boyfriend's house, I wasn't about to be at the sorority house for any extended period of time.  I am sure that part of the turmoil had to do with my attitude about not even wanting to be at the house and a few of the other upper classmen's attitudes who felt the same way. 
Since I have graduated, I have warded off any alum groups for the simple fact that I was not a fan of Delta Zeta when I graduated.  I didn't want anything to do with it when I was a senior and up to graduation and I wasn't going back to those same feelings...so I guess you could call me a sour puss!
As I was putting on my Delta Zeta badge yesterday for the first time in 5 yrs. and I was headed back to the house for the first time in 5 yrs., the bad things never crossed my mind...all I was thinking about was the fabulous time I had my previous years, all the leadership experience I got, the friends I have made (who are still my best friends today!), the memories that make me laugh out loud.  As I took a house tour, each room brought back a memory or experience that I will forever remember. I got to see our house mom at the time...and she brought back tons of memories...memories of all the good food she made us, the talks we had a dinner time, the times when she was truly our mom away from home giving us advice or just lending a listening ear...and now I get to call her my sorority sister since she joined Delta Zeta recently as an alum.
After watching the active members do their recruitment peices, sing their songs, chant their chants, give house tours, and talk about how much they love Delta Zeta, I began to wish I was back in college and an active member of Delta Zeta again, something I never thought would cross my mind.  They are full of Delta Zeta spirit and they truly loved everything they were doing! 
Thank you to those girls that showed me that they turned the house around, they showed me that they love Delta Zeta as much as I did my freshman-junior years while in college and they brought that love for Delta Zeta back to life again in my heart! 
As soon as I settle into a more steady life style and make my home some place...I am going to join a Delta Zeta Alum group thanks to the girls that are active members in my chapter that showed me Delta Zeta wasn't about the hard times we had as a chapter/friends; it was a about the good times that were made/shared together, it was about the meaning of Delta Zeta, the well-roundedness it makes you as a person, the moments that you still laugh about, the friends you made, and most of all the sisterhood that we all share!

No comments:

Post a Comment