Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

10 years of adulthood

As I look back on the last 10 years there have been many ups, downs, new friends, old friends, boyfriends, pledgings, recruitments, moves, funerals, new experiences, new jobs, tears, smiles, laughs, hugs, "I need you" phone calls, graduations, vacations, weddings, babies, and I could go on and on! Even though some of these memories are not all glamorous, I wouldn't change any of them!  Instead I cherish each and every memory and emotion because it has helped me grow!
Ten years ago I was packing up my little white Mercury Mystique that sat in the driveway of 510 Royal waiting to head to Hays, KS where I would spend the next 4 years of my life as a college student at Fort Hays State University.  I was that small town girl that wasn't quite sure that I wanted to leave my mom and be out on my own, but that quickly changed when I met the girl down the hall in the dorms...next thing I knew she was moving her things into my dorm room and we became roommates, sorority sisters, and best friends!  Those 4 years of my college career were some of the best times in my life.  However, after getting into nursing school and reconnecting with a high school friend that spent countless hours studying with me, praying that we would pass our next exam, starting IV's on each other, and practicing her wedding...those years seemed to come to close faster that anticipated!  Then, as I looked ahead at my future I knew it was time to be an adult and grow up...leaving me with more fantastic years!
Growing up came just 1 month after I graduated college with the death of my grandfather, the only grandfather that I knew...and the person that taught me so many life lessons. I remember getting that phone call from my mom after spending a weekend with my entire family at my grandpa's side when he was brought home from the hospital...that phone call was one that gave me feelings that I never knew existed.  Then 11 months later, I received a similar phone call telling me that my grandma had passed away...and boy, I never knew that growing up was so hard.  My grandma was one of grace and passion who loved her 6 grandchildren more than life itself...and the absence of her existent was one that was hard to believe.  This first year out in the this great big world was one of sorrow, but it helped me to realize that I couldn't take things for granted.  I know that all these years later, my grandparents are still looking done me and there are times I hear their voices in my heart giving me the advice that I need.
Here I am 6 years after graduating college and I have been across the country doing what I love in many different specialties of my career!  Through all the good times and bad...I can truly say that I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!
In July, the Delta Zeta Denver Alumnae chapter hosted a happy hour and surprised me with a pink rose to celebrate my 10 year membership in the Delta Zeta Sorority!  That pink rose and card made my think back to the last 10 years of adulthood remembering all the memories, and whether they caused my heart to stir or be satisifed, I smiled!

Lindsey and I with our roses to celebrate being in Delta Zeta for 10 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment