Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Rock 'n Roll- Denver



This weekend I completed my 2nd half marathon!!!
I was excited to run it with my friend Rosa who was running her first half...and I am already trying to get her to do another one...her words after asking her were..."Give me a week!"
The first text I got today was...ALLISON, I CAN NOT MOVE!!!  Oh, the memories of running my first half marathon...

Rosa and I at the expo!!!


Rock 'n Roll- Denver is the biggest half marathon I have ran.
15,000 people ran this race...between full, half, half relay, and mini half...that is a lot of damn people!  It was a great race, fairly flat and right through downtown Denver.
I would never have been able to run through downtown if I had not run this race...it was so nice with all the streets closed down to be able to take in the gorgeous city of Denver!

I felt great through the whole run until I hit mile 10...
...for some reason that dreaded mile 10 was a pickle for me in my first half marathon and this one.
I just hit a wall, my legs feel like they are 400 lbs. each, I felt like I couldn't take another breath, and I just had no more energy.
As I was between mile 10 and 11, I came upon a little hill...
...I got to the top and saw the mile 12 marker.  I thought, "WHAT, I'm already at mile 12???  Hell ya!!!"
I looked at my watch and the miles were off, but if this was right, and I was really at mile 12, I was going to make great time...
...but then it happened...
...I had to turn the other direction.
....and run all the way around another park.
I felt so defeated.
I wanted that to be for real so bad.
I wanted to turn right instead of left.
I wanted it to be over.
I didn't want to run around another park.
I wanted to cross that finish and cross it NOW!

I didn't PR, and I was disappointed.
However, I finished...and that's an accomplishment of it's own!

As I went through the pictures of me from the race and the professional photographers, I was in shock...
I look HORRIBLE when I am running...besides it looks like I am not even moving...like at all!
Just think of this when you are wondering what I look like because this is pretty darn close!



Official Stats:
Time: 2:23.51
Pace: 10:59
Overall Place: 5141 out of 8273

I have to say this race shirt is the best one yet!!!!  Love it!

Rosa (on the right) ran her first 1/2 with me and I am soooooo proud of her!!!  She accomplished something that she never thought she would!  Sabra (on the left) rode in the bike ride.  I was so jealous of her participant medal!!!

So, I'm trying to find my next half...and I have several friends trying to talk me into the Hospital Hill 1/2 in KC in June...I just might take on the challenge...but this girl has got to get some more muscle and drop some weight for that hilly race!!!  







2 comments:

  1. Great race! Finishing is a million times than never starting.
    There is something about the last 5k of a half that seems to be 99.9% mental. I'm the same way after mile 10... Just get me to the finish line!
    Do HH! I have every intention of running that one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I just kept telling myself...you only have a 5K left...it's only a 5K....it's soooooo mental!!! I'm leaning more towards HH that I would like to admit!!! :)

      Delete